Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Base Spirits by Ruth Barrett

Hey hey hey! It's still blog hop time! That means that today is yet another chance for you to be a winner. And today's prize is donated by the lovely Ruth Barrett, who's book, Base Spirits, I'm reviewing today. One lucky winner will receive an eCopy of this book, format of their choice. For those of you who didn't follow this blog yesterday, please do so today in order to be entered to win. Also, you must leave a comment. For those of you already following, please leave a comment in order to be entered to win. And if you'd like a bonus chance at winning, head over to my other blog, The Author Spot, and follow me there. If you are headed over there and you wish to read an interview with the lovely Ms. Barrett, click this link. Now on with the review!

Synopsis:
'Murder has took this chamber with full hands
And will ne’er out as long as the house stands.’
~A Yorkshire Tragedy, Act I, Sc. v

In 1605, Sir Walter Calverley’s murderous rampage leaves a family shattered. The killer suffers a torturous execution… but is it truly the end? A noble Yorkshire house stands forever tarnished by blood and possessed by anguished spirits.

Some crimes are so horrific, they reverberate through the centuries.

As an unhappy modern couple vacation in the guesthouse at Calverley Old Hall, playwright Clara, and her scholar husband, Scott, unwittingly awaken a dark history. Clara is trapped and forced back in time to bear witness to a family’s bloody saga. Overtaken by the malevolent echoes, Scott is pushed over the edge from possessive husband to wholly possessed…

Inspired by a true-life drama in Shakespeare’s day, this is itself a play within a play: a supernatural thriller with a historical core.

Only one player can survive.

I can't say enough good things about this book. It grabbed me from the beginning and sucked me in to the story. Ruth Barrett weaves an incredible tale of suspense and horror and tragedy. The events of the past are rendered in truly aching detail, it's obvious she's done her historical homework. Your heart will ache for the players in this tragedy of days gone by.

The modern part of the book is also painstakingly real. From Clara's fear and feelings of isolation, to her husband's jealous and possessive rages, the emotions ring clear and true. The book really picks up speed and rushes torwards the inevitable trainwreck where past meets present in a tragic climax.

Honestly, there wasn't anything I didn't enjoy about this book. Since I'm hesitant to give out five star reviews (they're flung out so willy nilly these days that who really believes them?), I'm definitely giving this one a ringing four star recommendation. Anyone who enjoys history, ghosts, possessions, England, or horror in general, is going to enjoy this book. I don't know how many people know who Barbara Erskine is, but her novels are what this book put me in mind of. And I'm a huge Barbara Erskine fan. Which makes me a huge Ruth Barrett fan.

So, enter the contest, win this book! And if you don't win-- you should just buy it. Well worth your time and money.

Happy Reading,
♥Spot

1 comment:

Ruth Barrett said...

Have I mentioned lately that I love you? Happy Valentine's Day-- I'm thrilled you loved the book!