Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fate's Mirror by M.H. Mead

Most of you know that sci-fi is not my preferred genre. And I admit that I'd never read a cyber-punk or techno novel in my life. I'm not even sure I knew those new sub genres existed. But I took another author's (Scott Niven), whom I admire, opinion and gave it a try. Some days I'm the queen of good decisions. Happily, that was one of those days.

Fate's Mirror is the action packed brainchild of M. H. Mead, the pen name of Margaret Yang and Harry R. Campion. I can honestly say that this book is a thrill ride and I got completely caught up in it from the very beginning.

The story follows Morris Payne, a hacking virtuoso (called a viker in the book). He's one of the best in the world. Morris has everything he needs right at his fingertips and spends most of his time plugged into the e-verse. Living in virtual reality, he's not plagued by his real world problems; severe agoraphobia, crippling panic attacks and a general fear of almost everything.  Unfortunately, his virtual life comes crashing down when someone kills his ex-girlfriend and colleague, NSA employee Khali. He becomes the next target and barely escapes his house before it explodes.

Stuck in the real world, he flees to the home of one of his clients, a private investigator named Aidra. Aidra takes him in and together they begin the search for whoever or whatever murdered Khali and is stalking Morris. Of course they have to battle real world problems as well. But once Morris gets back in his virtual world, the game is really on. And the villain of the piece? An AI who calls herself the Triple Goddesses of Fate and wants to assure her own security.

I don't want to give too much away so I'll stop there. I just want to say that the book is extremely well written and pulls you into Morris' world expertly. I did not have any problems with the language or picking up the slang they've created. The world in the book is easily believable and the characters perfectly drawn. You can't help but find yourself rooting for Morris and Aidra.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good suspense thriller, sci-fi or just really well written books. I think Michael Crighton fans would especially enjoy it. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough.

Happy Reading,
♥Spot

PS- Don't miss my interview with Margaret and Harry over at The Author Spot. Find out how they play so well together!

1 comment:

Blaze McRob said...

This looks like a great read! Two person perspective should allow for an interesting tale.

Blaze